1. Never run up to a dog.
2. Never attempt to touch a neighbor's dog through a
3. Never touch a dog that is growling, showing his teeth,
or barking hysterically.
4. Young children must never approach dogs without a
5. Always hold your hand out first and allow the dog to
sniff your hand.
6. Never grab at a dog.
7. Don't approach a dog that is a watch dog protecting
8. Never attempt to touch a dog that is eating or in
possession of a bone or a treat of some sort.
9. Never hurt the animal by pulling it's tail or fur for
10. If the dog is leashed, ask the dog's owner
permission to pet the dog first.
11. Keep your face away from the dog's, when
approaching or playing with them.
12. Don't make loud noises or sudden moves when
approaching a dog. Speak softly to it.
13. If a dog is chasing you, stop running, as this
encourages him to chase you.
14. Avoid eye contact with an aggressive dog, and back
off slowly and non-threateningly.
15. Do not touch, or attempt to touch, the animal's eye http://www.worldchat.com/public/rickb/safety.htm.