Puppy & Health Issues Section:
Breeding and Whelping
Fading Puppy Syndrome
FADING PUPPY SYNDROME
the puppies are born premature, the major concern is to keep the temperature
and humidity right. They can not maintain their own body heat.
The higher humidity will help keep the temperature more even.
sometimes have a problem with nursing. It seems that those who are
premature do not have the instinct to nurse. These will have to be
tube fed. With tube feeding the example is as follows:
1. Lay the puppy on its side - measure from the last rib to the puppy's
mouth making sure that the puppy's neck is stretched outward.
2. Mark on the tube where the puppy's mouth starts. You can
use a permanent marker or tape.
3. Using a syringe, fill it with whatever liquid you are going to
give the puppy. Attach the feeding tube to the syringe and push the
plunger until a few drops of liquid comes out of the end of the feeding
tube. This makes sure there is no air in the tube.
4. At this point, insert the tube into the puppy's mouth. Sometimes
it helps if you squeeze a few drops into its mouth so it will swallow.
5. Gently push the tube down its throat. If the tube does not
go in all the way to the mark or tape, pull it out and start again.
The reason it does not go all the way down is because it went into the
instead of the stomach. Pull it back out and try again. Just
keep doing this until it goes to the mark or the tube. Don't ever
push to hard, when you meet resistance STOP.
6. At this point you can start pushing the plunger down slowly.
To give more you, unattached the syringe from the feeding tube, keeping
the tube in the puppy, fill the syringe and squirt a little out so there
is no air bubble and reattach it to the feeding tube. Repeat as necessary.
This will take practice to hold the puppy in one hand to keep the tube
in place and with the other hand fill the syringe.
7. When done with feeding the puppy, gently remove the tube.
8. Next you take a warm wet cloth and massage the genitalia so the
puppy can relieve itself. It is the stimulation that makes the waste
expel. We recommend having a vet or someone experienced show you how to
do this the first time